Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love to You & Yours

Happy Valentine's Day! This happens to be one of my favorite holidays. I love love, and I love a day devoted to telling people you love them - and I love being able to make sentimental home-made cards with ribbons and glitter and cheesy sayings like "Bee Mine!" I know some people say Valentine's is a fake holiday invented by candy companies just to goad people into buying unnecessary consumer goods, but isn't that true about most American holidays? (Halloween anyone?) If you don't like excess consumerism, than I suppose the answer is don't buy anything. And if you don't buy-in to buying things, then all that is left is the "true" spirit of the holiday-at-hand, right? (I use quotation marks because what exactly is the "true" spirit of Columbus Day? Exploration, really?)

This Valentine's has not been as fun as we originally planned. The plan was to ski and snowboard at Copper Mountain, but I ended up with a head-cold and we came home early without a single snow adventure. Than is already calculating we when can go again - between buying a new home and planning a wedding, it seems to take a lot of advance planning to fit in a ski day.  Lucky for him, his bachelor party is a weekend ski-trip, so I know he'll get out there at least two more days this season.






This is a photo from last year's Valentine's Day. We went snowshoeing at the Moffat Tunnel and had dinner at our favorite restaurant, The Kitchen. This year Than made steaks with a port au jus, mashed potatoes and a caesar salad. It was delicious and almost made me forget how sick I am. Almost.
 I hope wherever you are and whoever you are with, you have a very Happy Valentine's Day. I send love to you and yours and hope you will do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lauren,

    I can comment on your blog now.

    Sincerely,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete