Monday, August 1, 2011

Statue Riding

In addition to mountain biking, hiking, cooking, and sewing, there is one more little hobby I have taken up: Statue Riding. Big statues, little statues, people statues, animal statues, bronze, plastic, indoor, outdoor, I don't care. If it looks like it can be ridden, I want to climb on it. Statue Riding is spontaneous - you never know when you'll run into something rideable. And it is a little bit dangerous. You never know who might get mad when you start climbing. Of course, if all the hundreds of butt-shined statues across America are any indication...I think there are plenty of other people out there practicing this same hobby. Check out some of my recent rides:

Donkey in downtown Boston, MA. July, 2010.

Bear along Clear Creek in Golden, CO. Fall, 2010.

Dragon in Parfet Park, Golden, CO. This was a tight squeeze... May 6, 2011.

Rhino at the Houston, TX zoo. I contemplated climbing on, but I was at a work function in a mini-skirt, so...no. May, 2011. 
 

Elk along Clear Creek in Golden, CO. June, 2011.

Horse in the Hubbard Museum of the American West, Ruidoso, NM. This guy was set up for photos - no, I did not just climb on a museum exhibit! July, 2011.

Sinclair brontosaurus in downtown Golden, CO. Taken this past weekend.
 And the one not pictured, the bronze cowboy in Central City, CO. Than and I were on our way to the opera when I noticed a bronze cowboy on a bench. I was 3 seconds away from lifting my leg to climb on his back when I realized he was in fact a REAL cowboy spray-painted bronze. Part of me wishes I had ridden him anyway, (it would be such a good story), but the other part of me is glad I didn't get bronze paint all over my opera dress. Happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment